The MINI Cooper is a classic icon of the automotive world, known for its compact size, agile handling, and distinctive style. But the brand is not resting on its laurels, as it introduces the fifth generation of the MINI Cooper with gasoline engines, along with the performance-enhanced MINI Cooper S. These new models are part of the most significant transformation for MINI since its founding 65 years ago, as it gradually transitions to an all-electric lineup in the coming years.
What’s New for the 2025 MINI Cooper and Cooper S?
The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S with gasoline engines are based on the same platform and design as the all-electric MINI Cooper E and SE, which debuted last year. However, they offer some unique features and benefits for customers who prefer a combustion engine's traditional performance and sound.
- New naming convention: Within the new Cooper family, MINI designates the performance levels of its gasoline engines using the letter C for the MINI Cooper and the letter S for the performance-enhanced MINI Cooper S. This is to differentiate them from the electric models, which use the letter E.
- New octagonal grille: The front of the new MINI Cooper and Cooper S features a striking octagonal grille with filigree contours, giving the car a distinctive face and enhancing airflow. The grille also incorporates the LED headlights and fog lights, creating a seamless look.
- New powertrain options: The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S come with two efficient gasoline engines with a choice of three or four cylinders, depending on the market. For US customers, both models come exclusively with 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engines, producing up to 201 hp in the Cooper S and 156 hp in the Cooper C. Both engines are paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission or an 8-speed automatic transmission, depending on the model and trim level.
- New suspension and damping system: The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S are equipped with a suspension and damping system that is designed for agile handling and a comfortable ride. The system features a single-joint spring strut axle at the front and a multi-link axle at the rear, as well as adaptive shock absorbers that adjust to the road conditions and driving style. The precise steering and powerful brakes also contribute to the brand’s iconic go-kart feeling.
- New interior design and features: The interior of the new MINI Cooper and Cooper S focuses on minimalist design and new materials, creating a spacious and modern atmosphere. The dashboard features a large circular display that houses the MINI Operating System 9, which is the latest version of the brand’s infotainment system. The system offers various digital functions and services, such as navigation, smartphone integration, wireless charging, and online access. The system can also be controlled by touch, voice, or gesture. The new MINI Experience Modes allow the driver to customize the ambient lighting, sound, and driving characteristics of the car, choosing from Sport, Mid, Green, or Individual modes. The seats are upholstered with high-quality fabric or leather, depending on the trim level, and offer a range of adjustment options. The trunk capacity is 211 liters, which can be expanded to 731 liters by folding the rear seats.
What are the Benefits of the New MINI Cooper and Cooper S?
The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S with gasoline engines offer some benefits for customers looking for a fun and versatile car that combines tradition and innovation.
- Performance and efficiency: The new gasoline engines of the MINI Cooper and Cooper S deliver a balance of performance and efficiency, offering a lively and responsive driving experience. The engines feature turbocharging, direct injection, variable valve control, and intelligent thermal management, which optimize the power output and fuel consumption. The engines also comply with the latest emission standards, thanks to the use of a gasoline particulate filter and a three-way catalytic converter. The new MINI Cooper S has a combined fuel consumption of 6.7 - 6.1 l/100 km and a combined CO2 emission of 150 - 138 g/km, according to WLTP. The new MINI Cooper C has a combined fuel consumption of 6.5 - 5.9 l/100 km and a combined CO2 emission of 146 - 133 g/km, according to WLTP.
- Style and personality: The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S with gasoline engines retain the brand’s signature style and personality while adding some fresh and modern touches. The new octagonal grille, the minimalist body design, the LED lights, and the wide range of color and wheel options give the car a distinctive and charismatic appearance. The interior also reflects the brand’s values of simplicity, quality, and fun, with a clear and intuitive layout, new materials, and customizable features. The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S offer a high level of personalization, allowing customers to choose from various equipment packages, options, and accessories to create their own unique MINI.
- Technology and connectivity: The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S with gasoline engines are equipped with the latest technology and connectivity features, offering a seamless and immersive user experience. The new MINI Operating System 9 is the interior's centerpiece, providing access to various digital functions and services, such as navigation, smartphone integration, wireless charging, and online access. The system also supports over-the-air updates, which allow the car to receive new software and features remotely. The new MINI Experience Modes allow the driver to adjust the ambient lighting, sound, and driving characteristics of the car according to their mood and preference. The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S also feature a range of driver assistance systems, such as lane departure warning, speed limit information, parking assistant, head-up display, and adaptive cruise control, which enhance the safety and comfort of the driver and passengers.
How to Get the New MINI Cooper and Cooper S?
The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S with gasoline engines are expected to hit the market in the second half of 2024, with different launch dates depending on the region and model. The production of the new MINI Cooper S will start in March 2024, while the production of the new MINI Cooper C will start in July 2024. The prices and availability of the new models will vary depending on the market and trim level, but customers can expect to pay a premium over the previous generation models. For US customers, the new MINI Cooper S will start at $27,750, while the new MINI Cooper C will start at $24,250, excluding destination and handling fees.
The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S with gasoline engines are the latest additions to the brand’s diverse and attractive portfolio, including the all-electric MINI Cooper E and MINI Cooper SE, the MINI Countryman, the MINI Clubman, and the MINI Convertible. These new models offer a choice of powertrain, performance, and style while staying true to the brand’s core values of driving pleasure, simplicity, and innovation. The new MINI Cooper and Cooper S are the perfect cars for customers who want to enjoy the traditional charm and sound of a gasoline engine while benefiting from the modern features and technology of the new MINI family.